The Nathan Cummings Foundation announced that they will align 100 percent of their nearly half-billion-dollar endowment with their mission in order to increase impact investing. The Nathan Cummings Foundation is focused on creating a more just, vibrant, sustainable and democratic society and finding solutions to the two most challenging problems of our time – the climate crisis and growing inequality – and is one of the largest foundations to commit 100 percent.
“Our decision reflects our values and our aspirations, our assessment of the market, and the opportunity for NCF to both join and leverage a chorus of philanthropic and private sector investors changing the landscape for investing and the business model of philanthropy,” said NCF President Sharon Alpert.
American foundations collectively have trillions in assets but often only use the legally required 5 percent on their missions through grantmaking. This move asks the question of what is possible if foundations begin using the other 95 percent. “Our Board agreed according to our values, that the social and economic issues at stake within our democracy demand bold responses from our philanthropy,” said Nathan Cummings Foundation Board Chair Ruth Cummings.
The Foundation has already started looking at all of its investments to assess their alignment and develop a pipeline of aligned investment strategies across all asset classes and will provide an update at the end of 2018 to support other foundations that plan to leverage their endowments to increase impact.
“If you are investing for the long-term, you should consider the impact your investment decisions have on the future of society and the environment,” said Raul Pomares of Sonen Capital. “We believe that companies who effectively manage both the emerging risks and opportunities associated with environmental and social issues ultimately will outperform their peers.”
Read the full article about impact investing at Mission Investors Exchange.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Impact Investing, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Impact Investing.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Boards and Governance is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Boards and Governance.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Boards and Governance, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.