The 2017 Hurricane season has become one of the most active seasons on record, with Hurricanes Irma and Harvey making direct hits on the U.S. mainland, as well as devastating Puerto Rico, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, and Cuba. Hurricane Maria made a direct pass over the U.S. and British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as a Category 5 storm, devastating the area for the second time in the span of ten days. Hurricane Jose made an indirect pass on the Carolinas and the northern seaboard as it swept back out to sea.
In response to the needs that will arise following these storms and others that may hit throughout the Atlantic hurricane season, the CDP 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund will focus on medium and long-term recovery needs.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Impact Philanthropy take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
We expect the long-term needs to include: rebuilding homes, businesses, and infrastructure; meeting the needs of young children; and supporting mental health needs. Specific locations and unmet needs will be determined by a grant advisory committee that will be established to guide CDP’s staff and board.
Through CDP’s unparalleled expertise in disaster management and grantmaking, we will invest in projects and initiatives that:
- Support vulnerable populations whose lives and livelihoods have been devastated;
- Emphasize funding that is medium- and long-term in nature and based upon prevailing needs that emerge in the weeks and months to come;
- Fill in gaps where public resources are unavailable or scarce;
- Foster collaborative relationships among donors – including the sharing of information with funders and nonprofit organizations; and,
- Promote cross-sector coordination with government agencies, academics, donors, think tanks, and public/private humanitarian actors.
Read the full article about the hurricane season recovery fund from the Center for Disaster Philanthropy
Looking for a way to get involved?
Disaster Relief is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Disaster Relief.
Are you ready to give?
If you are interested in Disaster Relief, please see these relevant Issue Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects where you can get involved.