The 2017 Hurricane season has become one of the most active seasons on record, with Hurricanes Irma and Harvey making direct hits on the U.S. mainland, as well as devastating Puerto Rico, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, and Cuba. Hurricane Maria made a direct pass over the U.S. and British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as a Category 5 storm, devastating the area for the second time in the span of ten days. Hurricane Jose made an indirect pass on the Carolinas and the northern seaboard as it swept back out to sea.
In response to the needs that will arise following these storms and others that may hit throughout the Atlantic hurricane season, the CDP 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund will focus on medium and long-term recovery needs.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Impact Philanthropy, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Impact Philanthropy.
We expect the long-term needs to include: rebuilding homes, businesses, and infrastructure; meeting the needs of young children; and supporting mental health needs. Specific locations and unmet needs will be determined by a grant advisory committee that will be established to guide CDP’s staff and board.
Through CDP’s unparalleled expertise in disaster management and grantmaking, we will invest in projects and initiatives that:
- Support vulnerable populations whose lives and livelihoods have been devastated;
- Emphasize funding that is medium- and long-term in nature and based upon prevailing needs that emerge in the weeks and months to come;
- Fill in gaps where public resources are unavailable or scarce;
- Foster collaborative relationships among donors – including the sharing of information with funders and nonprofit organizations; and,
- Promote cross-sector coordination with government agencies, academics, donors, think tanks, and public/private humanitarian actors.
Read the full article about the hurricane season recovery fund from the Center for Disaster Philanthropy
Are you ready to give?
Disaster Relief is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Disaster Relief.