Giving Compass’ Take:
• The author shares insights into how funders can alter their behaviors to orient grantees toward the Sustainable Development Goals and scale solutions.
• How will focusing on the grantee/grantmakers relationship help with scaling impact?
• Read about strategies for scaling up social programs for nonprofits.
Scaling Solutions Toward Shifting Systems, seeks to offer some concrete recommendations and catalyze a conversation about how to change the SDG industry with an eye toward scale.
The report outlined five key ways that funders could change their behaviors:
1. Shift the power dynamics. Funders tend to have significantly more power in these relationships, which can put pressure on grantees to conform to foundation priorities and limit their ability to do systems-oriented change. Foundations need to be more cognizant of power dynamics and look to adopt practices that provide grantees with more flexibility to determine their own needs.
2. Look beyond financial support. If funders and grantees have strong relationships built on trust, they can have ongoing conversations that allow foundations to better understand needs and help identify and provide nonmonetary support.
3. Build a knowledge base. Systems change requires big thinking and identifying all the relevant actors within a system. Foundations can both help map those systems and connect grantees with other actors within the system.
4. Work together to ease the burden. Funders should collaborate more often to share insights and information about grantees and consider establishing joint assessment and due diligence processes to limit the burden on grantees.
5. Change the way they give. Perhaps most critically, the report says, foundations have to change the way they give money. If the goal is systemic change, restrictive one-year grant cycles are not the way to achieve big goals.
Read the full article about how foundations can scale solutions by Adva Saldinger at Devex
Interested in learning more about Impact Philanthropy? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Impact Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Civil Society, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
Civil Society is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Civil Society.