Giving Compass’ Take:
• Devin Vodicka shares from experience as chief impact officer of Altitude Learning on how to achieve district-wide transformation by preparing schools for change, creating a strategy, and accelerating progress.
• What are the barriers to district-wide improvement in your local school systems? How would education funders be able to help fill gaps for transformation?
• Here are six K-12 school districts to watch in 2019.
Over the past two decades, I’ve had the privilege to be part of a number of efforts to improve and transform schools and school districts. It’s a complex challenge. And yet the imperative to evolve grows more pressing each day, as the world outside school continues to accelerate due to technological improvements, globalization and our collective shift into a post-industrial economy.
I’ve been fortunate to get to approach these problems wearing different hats to gain a unique purview. First, as a teacher, school administrator and then, ultimately, a superintendent, I got to work “in the trenches” to understand both the daily pleasures and pressures of providing a high-quality education.
More recently, in my role of Chief Impact Officer with Altitude Learning, I’ve had the opportunity to work side-by-side with dozens of districts around the country, providing high level strategy and tactical counsel about how to best approach district-wide transformation.
Based on those learnings, I offer a few observations about critical strategies to guide and drive the process of leading in learning communities.
- Preconditions for change:
- Listen to your learners
- Meaningfully engage all stakeholders
- Shift from challenge to possibility
- Creating a strategy
- Measure what matters
- Define the learning model
- Align resources
- Accelerate progress
- Engage in continuous learning
Read the full article about how to achieve school district-wide transformation by Devin Vodicka at Education Dive.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Ed System Reform take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Ed System Reform, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Ed System Reform.