Giving Compass’ Take:
• Bloomberg Philanthropies announced its new $160 million initiative that will address the youth e-cigarette epidemic by supporting local advocacy efforts.
• How can you support local advocacy efforts in your area against the promotion of e-cigarettes?
• Read more about how young people are influenced to use e-cigarettes.
In response to alarming levels of e-cigarette use among youth in the United States—including a 78 percent increase among high school students in just one year—Bloomberg Philanthropies announced the creation of a new $160 million initiative to end the youth e-cigarette epidemic.
Goals of the initiative, “Protect Kids: Fight Flavored E-Cigarettes,” include banning all flavored e-cigarettes—and stopping Juul and other e-cigarette companies from marketing their products to children. The three-year program will be led by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, which will partner with other leading organizations including parent and community groups concerned about the nation’s kids and health.
Teen smoking rates in the United States declined by more than 70 percent between 2000 and 2018, but the spike in e-cigarette use among youth threatens to undo a generation’s worth of progress.
The creation of the initiative comes as health authorities in 33 states are investigating more than 450 cases of severe respiratory illnesses associated with vaping, with many cases involving teens and young adults. A CDC health advisory released in response to these alarming incidents encourages e-cigarette users to stop using these products while investigations into the cause of these illnesses are ongoing.
The initiative will support local advocacy efforts in cities and states including legislative and regulatory measures to:
- Remove flavored e-cigarettes from the marketplace.
- Ensure e-cigarette products are subjected to review before they reach the market and products now on the market are reviewed promptly.
- End marketing practices that appeal to kids.
- Stop online e-cigarette sales until sales to kids can be prevented.
Read the full article about philanthropy committed to ending youth e-cigarette epidemic at Benzinga.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Philanthropy, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Philanthropy is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Philanthropy.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Philanthropy take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.