Giving Compass’ Take:
• Here are seven tips for educators on how to develop a trauma-informed approach to support students during distance learning.
• How can donors help equip educators with the tools or services they might need to implement these principles?
• Read more about delivering trauma-informed care online to students.
Before you can reach a student’s head to learn, you have to reach their heart and earn their trust. Educators should strive to be that support, especially during this pandemic and amid the civil unrest we are experiencing.
It’s likely that the trauma some students were experiencing before the pandemic struck may be escalating as a result of being forced to shelter at home. When school starts up again in the fall and on-site instruction resumes (even just a couple of days a week), students will need support in processing their emotions, learning to reconnect with their teachers and peers and catching up academically.
Pre-pandemic, nearly a third of teenagers had experienced a trauma or were in a chronic state of trauma such as abuse, homelessness, foster care, hunger, bullying, substance abuse in the home and even human trafficking.
All school leaders can educate teachers on a trauma-informed approach to learning. Here are seven key principles educators can implement now:
- Recognize your own feelings first.
- Create a sense of stability with flexibility.
- Listen and validate honestly.
- Encourage students to ask for help.
- Set appropriate expectations.
- Remind them they are not alone.
- Use a personalized approach.
Read the full article about trauma-informed approach by Caprice Young at EdSource.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on K-12 Education take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Learning with others and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Children and Youth, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities to connect with individuals like you.
Are you ready to give?
Children and Youth is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Children and Youth.