Giving Compass’ Take:
• The Rockefeller Foundation shares lessons on impact hiring including creating a strong business case, facilitating peer-to-peer learning, and equipping the right champions.
• How can impact hiring lead to sustainable change in the social sector?
Last year, influential employers – including T-Mobile, Gap Inc., and McDonalds* – came to New Orleans for an unprecedented gathering on jobs in the United States. Each had expressed enthusiasm for impact hiring—an approach that creates business value through hiring and investing in individuals who face barriers to economic opportunity.
This cohort-based approach, designed to accelerate adoption of impact hiring practices, is an important catalyst to create more inclusive economies by engaging employers in developing new ideas and solutions.
Over the past decade, The Rockefeller Foundation has worked with the private sector to unlock the solutions to some of society’s biggest problems—particularly relating to livelihoods – in the United States and around the world.
In working together, we have learned three key lessons about employer engagement that we are applying to this cohort learning model:
- Create a strong business case: While many employers want to “do well by doing good,” far fewer are able to demonstrate the business value of their investment in society.
- Facilitate peer-to-peer learning: The experience in New Orleans was impactful for business leaders because it allowed them to build intra-company relationships.
- Equip the right champions: In our experience, empowering and equipping multiple internal champions with tools, resources, and interpersonal support is a key part of sustaining change.
Read the full article about impact hiring by Abigail Carlton and Nicole Trimble at The Rockefeller Foundation.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Philanthropy take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are interested in Corp Giving and CSR, please see these relevant events, training, conferences or volunteering opportunities the Giving Compass team recommends.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Corp Giving and CSR take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.