Giving Compass’ Take:
• Dawn Franks, writing for Medium, explains the importance and joy of sharing the gift of generosity with children, especially within your family.
• Why is it important to introduce kids to the joy of giving from a very young age? How can you share the gift of generosity in your family today?
A grandfather friend told me his grandkids would be coming shortly for a visit and he would be listening to the sounds of running feet and who knows what all else going on in the upstairs part of their home.
Every summer I’m reminded of this fleeting opportunity grandparents have to share their stories and the wisdom that only they can speak. Children listen.
We know from research that children learn a great deal about generosity by watching others. So, when a family shares in the experience of generosity everyone benefits. It reinforces the good feelings that so often accompany giving. For me, family includes grandparents.
Grandparents often say the best thing about grandchildren is that they come to visit for a while, and then they go home. But for that short time, your role can be more than doling out fun. You can also use it to demonstrate generosity toward others and teach them a great deal about giving.
Easy Ways to Share Your Generosity
- Do you volunteer at an organization doing work you believe is important? Can they share in your volunteer experience for even a short period?
- Do you need to clean out the closet and deliver donations to a local nonprofit or clothes closet? Let them help you load the car and make the delivery.
- Do you plan to send out a few donation checks? Use a little gas money to hand-deliver the checks with the grandchildren along for the ride. Let them hand over the check.
Gifts from grandparents are often special and even remembered for a long time. But the gift of shared generosity will not only touch their life but the lives of future generations.
Read the full article about sharing the gift of generosity by Dawn Franks at Medium.
Interested in learning more about Family Philanthropy? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Family Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Children and Youth, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
Children and Youth is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Children and Youth.