The South’s economic history is dominated by extractive industry, artificially cheap labor, unbridled economic development, and exploitation of the region’s human and natural resources.
Community-led economic development organizations are breaking down barriers to access to wealth-building tools for historically excluded Southern communities. They are changing the narrative about the region’s economic past and future. They are capitalizing on the South’s rich assets: its people, its land and its culture.
- DO understand the long-shared past of Southern communities and their long-term vision for their shared future.
- DO bring the full range of your financial resources to bear on investments in Southern community economic development.
- DO invest in the diversity of community assets present in any Southern community.
- DON’T invest in community economic development that does not include meaningful community representation.
- DON’T underestimate the structural change potential in community economic development.
- DON’T write off Southern grantee partners because of capacity needs.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Impact Philanthropy, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Impact Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Boards and Governance is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Boards and Governance.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Boards and Governance, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.