Giving Compass’ Take:
· Adele Peters at Fast Company highlights the demands made by youth climate activists for an upcoming strike on Sept. 20.
· Where does support of youth organizing fit within your giving strategy?
A year ago, Greta Thunberg, the now-16-year-old climate activist, stopped going to school in order to stand outside Swedish Parliament and protest the lack of climate action. She inspired youth climate strikes around the world—including a massive strike planned for September 20. Today, a coalition of American youth climate activists who are planning that strike released a list of their policy demands, hours before Democratic presidential candidates appear in back-to-back town halls focused on climate change.
“Too often, we think about solutions in a very small-minded way, inside the box,” says Katie Eder, a 19-year-old youth leader who heads a group called Future Coalition. “We don’t have time to stay in the box. We really need to be more innovative with our solutions and ask for what we need, not what we think could be possible or has been possible in the past.” The coalition spent weeks coming to a consensus on its list of demands:
- A Green New Deal: Building on “the” Green New Deal resolution in Congress, this calls for transforming the economy to 100% renewable energy by 2030, while creating jobs and ending leases and permits for fossil fuel projects.
- Respect for indigenous land and sovereignty: Honoring treaties protecting indigenous land by ending resource extraction in and affecting those areas.
- Environmental justice: Investing in the communities affected most by poverty and pollution.
- Protecting biodiversity: Protecting and restoring 50% of the world’s lands and oceans and stopping all deforestation by 2030.
- Sustainable agriculture: Investing in regenerative agriculture and ending subsidies for industrial agriculture.
Read the full article about the upcoming climate strike by Adele Peters at Fast Company.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Inspiring Stories, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Inspiring Stories.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are interested in Advocacy and Policy, please see these relevant events, training, conferences or volunteering opportunities the Giving Compass team recommends.
Are you ready to give?
If you are interested in Advocacy and Policy, please see these relevant Issue Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects where you can get involved.